The topic of the seventh episode of the second season of the „Efekt Sieci” podcast is blockchains and their implementation within elements of policy and governance. Although it is difficult to say who the creator of blockchain technology was, and many people even find it difficult to clearly state what blockchains actually are, the technology has the potential to revolutionise many areas of our lives. What are blockchains, why is there so much talk about them and what is their potential?
The expert for the episode isŁukasz Jonak, analyst at DELab UW and head of the Social Machine project, who answers questions from Dr. Justyna Pokojska about:
- the definition of blockchains,
- the benefits they bring, beyond the realisation of the idea of «community»,
- the definition of bitcoin – where does it come from? Who «produces» them and gives them a certain value?
- the use of bitcoin and the advantages of having a digital currency in your wallet,
- the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on blockchain and bitcoin development,
- the trend away from «traditional» money associated with the development of cryptocurrencies,
- the opportunities created by blockchain technology in public policy-making and governance.