The topic of the twenty-first episode of the second season of the „Efekt Sieci” podcast is herbaria. are used to learn about, classify, and describe plants. In a world of the Internet and universal access to virtually any knowledge, is there still any point in collecting plants, pasting them into albums and elaborately describing them?
Expert knowledge and experience is shared by Dr. Maja Graniszewska from the Center for Biological and Chemical Sciences at the University of Warsaw, the manager of the „Herbarium” project, who answers questions from Dr. Justyna Pokojska about:
- the process of digitizing herbaria and the purpose for which it is done,
- the existence of plants that have not yet been described,
- areas in which crests can help us with their knowledge,
- interest of the business sphere in plants, ways of growing and using them,
- methods for creating herbariums in the age of smartphones,
- ways to encourage children’s interest in botany and nature.