The topic of the ninth episode of the second season of the „Efekt Sieci” podcast is the challenges created by the ageing population and a special group in the world of new technologies – seniors. There is a persistent myth of seniors as digitally excluded people on the margins of social activities. Meanwhile, studies show that the digital activity of seniors is clearly increasing – according to a CBOS report, they constitute as much as 28% of the population. online shoppers, they are also keen to use e‑banking or banking and financial services in general. Does this mean that the myth of the excluded, marginalised senior citizen is outdated?
The expert for the episode is Dr. Anna Nicińska, a DELab UW analyst and economist at the Faculty of Economic Sciences of the University of Warsaw, who answers questions from Dr. Justyna Pokojska about:
- senior online activities and the digital side of older people,
- verifying myths about the marginalisation and exclusion of seniors,
- perspectives of the „silver generation” on the development of the marketing market,
- labour market barriers that exclude seniors,
- the effects of automation on workers in the 55+ group,
- the challenges of an ageing population,
- a comparison of the situation of senior citizens and responses to the challenges of an ageing society in Poland and in other European Union countries.