Along with the development of technology goes the desire to explore the world and expand our horizons. We have more and more opportunities to fly into space further, faster and stay there for longer. What are the dangers lurking for us and our electronic devices in space?
Dr. Monika Paluch-Ferszt from the Environmental Laboratory of Heavy Ions at the University of Warsaw and Dr. Tomasz Krawczyk, an expert at DELab UW, talk about extraterrestrial travel, cosmic radiation, and its consequences, answering Dr. Justyna Pokojska’s questions on:
- the definition of cosmic radiation,
- its impact on human health,
- consequences of extraterrestrial travel,
- how ionising radiation is detected and how it works,
- effects of radiation on electronics on Earth and in Earth orbit,
- methods of studying ionising radiation,
- how the Earth protects us from radiation,
- strategies for protecting equipment in space,
- effects of heavy ions on electronics.