We hear about 5G most often in the context of pseudo-scientific theories about how the new technology works. On government websites we can find expert statements debunking the myths surrounding 5G – the impact on bees, brain function or causing COVID-19 – but the more effort we put into dispelling the myths, the more they appear in the discourse.
Dr. Eng. Tomasz Krawczyk, a DELab UW expert, talks about 5G technology: hopes and fears connected with the new technology, as well as pseudoscientific myths, answering Dr. Justyna Pokojska’s questions about:
- origin of myths related to 5G technology,
- the White Paper on 5G issued by the Ministry of Digitalisation,
- mechanisms of 5G operation from the perspective of science, in particular physics,
- harmfulness and carcinogenicity of the technology for humans,
- reasons why we need new generation telecommunication technologies,
- compatibility of devices with 5G,
- applications of the new technology, in particular in Industry 4.0,
- mechanisms of operation of 5G from a scientific perspective,
- 5G development scenarios and applications.